Wednesday 27 April 2011

Dids and didn'ts ...

for this first long weekend of the year.


1. We did all manage to be home together, but didn't get into any arguments or fights.
2. We did have two big meals - in a row, but I still did end up doing most of the dishes.
3. We did clean various parts of the house and property, but didn't have full cooperation.
4. We didn't do any laundry but did prepare for the onslaught, once the new machine arrived.
5. We didn't hide and hunt for chocolate eggs - for the first time in 20-odd years but did still have candy and chocolates, but they were just left out on the table.
6. We did have my mother's husband here for dinner - he did manage to be insulting again, but we didn't allow ourselves to be sucked into his game.
7.  We did play a game of "Settlers of Catan" and I did manage to win - for the first time!


All in all, the "did and didn'ts" add up to growth and maturity.  Not just for the boys, but for the parents as well.
The boys are all growing up and getting to be more accepting of their brothers differences.  They are seeing that the parents do need help and are willing - to a certain point. They are willing to let go of some of the younger aspects of celebrations.
The parents are beginning to let go of aspects childhood and embracing maturity and accepting the eventual adulthood of the boys.  It is not an easy transition.  I loved being a mother to young boys and do miss this part of my life.  However, I do love being a mum to young men and watching them develop their own personalities and life experiences.  Best of all, I love being a mum - doing dishes while listening to the four of them while the play a game and talk.  Just to hear them converse, whether it is family memories or politics or friends or school or their futures is so fun.  Not being involved in the conversation is even more fun.


Motherhood, although vastly both overrated and underrated at the same time, can be so rewarding.


Noah, in a rare stance of approval, gives me a "thumbs up".
Maybe it is for giving him three older brothers or just for being such a
great mum (hmm, wishful thinking). It was probably just for the candy.
Doesn't matter, I'll take it as a sign of appreciation.

3 comments:

Lois said...

We are always in similar spots in our child-rearing. Last year was our first no-egg hunt and it was hard.

Yesterday on our way to work I saw a pick-up truck with Hands and Hearts Construction on it! I wish I'd had my camera... But your site is prettier. L

Lois said...

Look! I can post! It's because I reformatted my laptop. Phew. Have a great weekend... Lois

Hayley said...

So true, your family consistently runs about one year ahead of mine in reaching new milestones.

I like pretty, but a construction truck could have been 'edgy'.