Thursday 31 March 2011

Too pretty......

for words, too pretty to use, but just lovely enough to dream of......




    I've never been to a Neiman Marcus, actually never even heard of them, except from one, very creative and exceptional friend.  So when she mentioned about having fun shopping at one, I naturally had to Google the store.
    There is an online version of the store and after spending too much time and not nearly enough time exploring their website, I came across these most perfectly and pretty of purple pillows.
    Now, purple is my most favourite of colours, always has been, always will.  I had a deliciously purple room as a spoiled child in the seventies.  I had a mixed purple shag rug, it almost looked like a heather field in bloom.  I had groovy purple wallpaper, complete with flowers and vines, lovely to view and annoying for my dad to install. I had a "mod" bedside lamp, one of those mushroom shaped lamps that was, yes, purple. However, my "pièce de résistance", my absolute pride and joy was my overhead ceiling light, it was one of those blown glass, spaghetti string multi-hued purple orb lights. 
    Of course, I matured, I grew out of this idyllic princess bedroom and my interests changed and grew with me.  The shag rug, once so lovely, did not fair well against a sloppy and cleanliness-challenged pre-teen.  Out it went, rather sad but definitely necessary for my overall state of health  - I can't even begin to imagine what sort of germs, molds, dust, etc. would have been caught up in the luxurious long fibers of the shag.  The wallpaper was next, my eye being caught by a pattern of black and white geometrical designs, which I loved, but made my dad burst out in some fairly graphic language as he put it up, trying to match without his eyes popping out of his head.  I knocked down the table lamp in a fight with my brother and it broke beyond repair, so Dad said, secretly I think he was happy to be gone with it - perhaps as payback for the wild wallpaper that was permanently etched on his corneas. However, I never gave up my love of the ceiling light, it only went when our house sold and I was told, again by parents probably wanting me to give up the purple, that anything attached to the house must stay with the house.  I'm sure we could have saved the wondrous purple orb.
    So, now we are at the mature grown woman who still craves a wee splash of purple throughout the house and life now and then.... and these pillows would be PERFECT!!

2 comments:

Lois said...

Didn't you have a purple room in Delhi??
The store was incredible. I purchased the least expensive thing in the entire store, wearing my vintage [read VV] jacket and pants, and homemade hamsa bag... the staff were so gracious, not at all snobby, and I have the most lovely litte ceramic dish, no use whatsoever, that will live on my dresser and remind me of my visit. :) It cost $35.00. I'll post a pick tomorrow...

Purple is lovely. I'm so into green, though. Can't get my eyes off green. Lois

Hayley said...

We did, we had a beautiful purple bedroom in Delhi. Terry has promised to paint our room purple here too, but we have been here eight years already and no purple in sight!